Friday, September 21, 2007

Capri, baller-style.


(copied from journal on train from Florence to Naples)

So I wasn't able to reach the ferry companies to confirm whether or not there would be a ferry late enough for me to be able to take a train from Assisi in the afternoon and still make it to Capri tonight, soooo I skipped the Assisi trip altogether. Haha, choices were made... But here's my thinking: Assisi will still be gorgeous in the dead of winter, while Capri definitely will not. I still have 3 whole months in Italy - Assisi can wait.

Now. Since I came to this decision at the very last second, I unfortunately discovered that the coach section of the train was sold out, leaving me to decide between a €76 first-class ticket, or a €53 standing-only ticket. Since the seatless ticket wasn't even that cheap anyway, I figured why make my journey excessively hellish just to save €20, soooo I went balls-out and am now sitting amongst the Italian upper-crust in the first-class section of a Eurostar train. There are electric outlets and tables (not fold-down trays; like, REAL tables), little men wandering around offering us free newspapers and refreshments, and I'm basically swimming in my enormous, cushy seat. I can sleep without fear of my shit being stolen, and all in all, if I'm going to one of the most exclusive and luxurious island locales anyway, I might as well travel in style, no?

So basically, I'm counting this trip as my first big splurge in Italy. I have enough purses and shoes for now - I'd much rather spend my money on delicious seafood, breathtaking views, and turquoise water any day. Plus, now that I'm arriving with plenty of time to catch a ferry, I may even get to make a pilgrimage to the reputed best pizzeria in all of Naples, and therefore in all of Italy, and therefore in all the WORLD, L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele. Not too shabby.

TEN MINUTES LATER

Oh my god oh my god oh my god this is incredible. I am getting a freakin' tour of the Tuscan countryside on this train right now. I can never get my camera out fast enough so you will have to trust me that the views are out of this world - there are flocks of sheep munching on lush hills, quaint little towns, countless vineyards and orchards and farmlands (oh my!).... simply gorgeous. This is amazing.

No comments: