Thursday, October 4, 2007

la vita è bella


It's October. Holy crap.

Sorry I've fallen behind on updating this thing. These past few days have just been so roller-coaster-y that I felt like I would write one thing and then totally contradict it the next day so I thought id just give it a rest for a bit. But we're back in action.

Just fyi, yesterday was definitely a 2-gelato kind of day; first, a cone with pistacchio (pis-ta-KEY-oh, as the gelataio corrected me, since he detected that I wasn’t a total lost cause when it came to the Italian language so he wanted me to know how to avoid a common American mistake), gianduja (which is basically nutella, but of the most artisanal, slow-food variety), and because I made friends with the gelataio with all my questions and earnest attempt to make botched conversation, a free smidge of cioccolata fondente (basically the richest chocolate you can get. Yum.)

THEN, after some errands, I treated myself to my second gelato of the day (we’re going by visits here, NOT flavors – Jesus, people, give a girl a break) at Vivoli. I just can't pass that place without getting one. It's simply impossible. Especially that day, because their flavors were particularly enticing – I got pera al caramello (caramelized pear- YUM), and honey (HOLY GOD ECSTASY-OF-SAINT-THERESA yum). Oh Jesus. I'm gonna be dreaming of that honey gelato for at least a week... but probably two.

But back to other news – this whole not-having-any-inkling-of-a-plan-for-fall-break thing has been really stressing me out, since it's really only like 3 weeks away, but now, like Michelangelo’s statues (which I got to visit today at the Accademia; more on that later), I've been slowly chipping away at the rough marble of my fall break possibilities and I'm beginning to make out a recognizable form, namely in the shape of some sort of rendez-vous with Alex Reynolds, potentially in Madrid (where she is currently studying) or potentially elsewhere (Vienna?), then a jaunt to, um, MOROCCO with Sam and Tyler (yes, AFRICA. I mean, why the HELL not??), and then either Barcelona with Sam and Tyler or a spin around Sicily and Malta with new-friend-from-Capri Jen, and back to Florence just in time to celebrate my 21st birthday… and then go to Paris the next weekend. I'm just a baller like that. Now talk to me in two weeks and see how much this plan has changed. But ANYWAY…

Socially, things are good. I've rekindled a bunch of friendships with some really cool people that kinda formed in the first week but then we never crossed paths again, which is relieving/exciting/comforting. So I'm happy about that. Beautiful Greek girl Irene and I re-bonded on a school trip to Ravenna amongst the glittering mosaici (and twinkling designer boutiques… of course Syracuse fails to prepare us for the bomb shopping that awaits in Ravenna…) and over a nice grilled Piadina (a type of sandwich typical to Ravenna- it's basically a panino, but made of this delicious doughy flatbread that tastes like a mix between naan and the kind of pita you get at Zankou Chicken, but without the pocket; you wrap the goodies in it like a tortilla, but it's a fatass tortilla. Ours was stuffed with prosciutto, pecorino, rucola, and some fantastically piquant roasted tomatoes. HEAVEN.) Now we have plans to head to Venice together next weekend for an extended stay around our class trip to the Biennale. And we have ALSO discovered that we live 2 blocks from each other in Florence, and that there is a fantastic enoteca by our houses that has unlimited finger foods with the purchase of a $5 drink or glass of wine. Lovely.

Also, Sam, my little Vassar friend whose style I was afraid I was beginning to cramp just because we tend to see each other all the time and do the same kinda stuff since we have SO freakin' much in common, but alas, my fears were squelched tonight- Me, her, and two other girls Nicole and Courtney had decided to have a little girl's night and go out dancing, but the club we ended up at, YAB, was totally sketchy- they played straight-up American-bar-mitzvah-in-the-late-90's music the whole time we were there, AND they charge you a euro if you leave before 12:30 (wtf??) so we peaced out, Jen and Courtney went home, and me and Sam ended up parking it on a stoop on Borgo Pinti and talking for two hours. Oh, how hashing out convoluted male histories can eat up half a night.... but it ended up being way more of a proper "girl's night" than it would have been if we had stayed at the club and continued to be hit on by 30-year-old Italian sleaze balls. So all in all, quite the win-win situation.

Oh, and in other life-is-awesome news, my painting teacher just informed us today that next Wednesday we would be ending class early to head down across the Arno near Piazza Pitti to this art lecture and screening of a documentary about modern and contemporary artists that is apparently a SUPER big deal - like, the directors of the Uffizi and of the Accademia are going to be there, and only 200 or so people in all of Florence get invited, and we get to go. SO psyched. And, that means that I won't be home in time for dinner so I'll get to have a classy evening at one of the great wine/aperitivo bars along the Arno with some of my non-homestay friends. Sa-weet.

And speaking of the Accademia... I got to see the the David today. In the flesh… or marble? Whatever. In Mikey B's hands it’s the same damn thing. And in David’s hands… I am putty.

Sorry for such a schitzo entry but long story short, things are great. I miss you guys, give me an update on your lives and let me know that SOMEONE is reading this thing other than my mother. kthanks.... ciao!!

1 comment:

BroadwayGuy said...

Alex - You are making me hungry and homesick for the Italy of my youth. I lived there when I was 19.
I has stayed with me all my life so don't worry about leaving..you will always return to it in your heart.
Ciao-Schmenner