Wednesday, October 17, 2007

viaggiando...

PHEEEWWWWW. Man. I FINALLY came to a decision and booked my flights for fall break and let me just tell you, it was ABOUT TIME. I have been so deliriously happy since I’ve been here; I literally have not shed one tear (which I’m sure most of you know is a BIG freakin’ deal...) and have totally forgotten what it feels like to have anxiety or feel overwhelmed... but then this past week rolled around. Venice was obviously INCREDIBLE, but then I got back Sunday night and realized, oh wait, I have a week and a half until I am kicked out of my homestay for 10 days and I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I’M GOING. Plus, for some reason all my professors have decided to act like this is real school and give us “homework” and “projects” and “midterms” over these next two weeks, but trying to get myself on flights and in hostels with enough money left over to, oh, FEED MYSELF for the next couple of months was a big enough project on its own. So I had my first bout of anxiety last night, after spending two hours at one travel agent and then two hours at another, only to come to the conclusion that I am an IDIOT for waiting this long to figure my shit out and that unless I made organizing this trip my number one priority over all else, I would either be a) stranded and homeless in Florence for a week and a half or b) incredibly, unfathomably broke. Trying to explain the cause of my anxiety, through tears, IN ITALIAN, to my host mother did not make it any easier.

HOWEVER, after bailing on my friends for my first meal at Acqua al Due (I DON’T want to talk about it...) in order to sit at home on the computer for four hours poring over crazy European our-planes-are-so-rickety-they-may-kill-you airline websites, I finally solidified my October break. Here it goes:

Thurs Oct 25 - Sun Oct 28: flying to Vienna with some friends from the program; staying in some crazy hostel

Sun Oct 28 – Thurs Nov 1: flying to Amsterdam to stay with some friends from USC who are studying there (particularly excited about this leg)

Thurs Nov 1 – Sun Nov 4: flying to Barcelona to meet up with Sam, Jess and Tyler; probably staying in some crazy hostel again

So yeah. Many stories to come, I believe.

No comments: